Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:19:02 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Notes, "Boot-time Kernel Configuration"

If memory serves me right, Tom Rhodes wrote:

> You will obtain praise from me, mainly the last note is very important
> to me as a user, I would rather have little documentation than alot of
> incorrect documentation.  Maybe some day we can put this Generic kernel
> configuration table somewhere in the handbook, opinions?

I'd like to keep this in the release documentation, because these
documents (e.g. the Hardware Notes, Release Notes, etc.) are tied to a
specific revision of FreeBSD, just like the GENERIC kernel
configuration.  (This is why the release notes live where they do in the
CVS repository, and why they are branched the same way as the rest of
src/.)  While the Handbook generally documents the most recent released
version of FreeBSD, it's much less version-specific.

Bruce.

PS.  If one were to take a snapshot of this as-yet-non-existent table,
put it in the Handbook, and add a notation that it "Applies to FreeBSD
FOO.BAR-RELEASE, Your Mileage May Vary", I'd have no objection.