Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 21:01:58 -0700
From:      "iyengar" <SanatanaDharma@email.msn.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <siyengar@mc.hl.siemens.de>, "Srinivasan Iyengar" <SanatanaDharma@email.msn.com>
Subject:   Re: sio1 problem, ppp problem and 3com 3c905B-TX problem

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the replies. I initially left the default 0x2f8 address for the
sio1 ( com2) port and found that
FreeBSD did not find this on booting. I then went back to check for the
location and found that MS windows 98 reported it at 0x100.

It does find COM1 at 3xf8 and I am now using a 28.8 modem hooked up to that
port externally while I
have a 56k flex on the inside of the machine sitting idle since it is not
found by the OS. As far as I can
tell, there are no other helpful hints on dmesg regarding this issue. Com1
is found and com2 is not.

BTW, I did an "upgrade" from 2.2.6 to 2.2.7 instead of fully loading the OS.
There were several
reasons for this. I had a dedicated Hard Drive for FreeBSD that I "moved"
from an older PC to this
one and I did not want to remove the directory structure and some changes I
had made to some
Packages on 2.2.6. Could this be one reason that the OS is not functioning
optimally?

As far as conflicts go - I have only two and these are related to the PS2
mouse and the sysconsole
for which the message says "conflict allowed". I have removed the unwanted
drivers in Userconfig.
I do not have any conflicting irqs in the NETWORKING or the other sections
of Userconfig.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Srini.

-----Original Message-----freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG