Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 11:22:10 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD, GPL, the world today. (fwd)

On Thu, May 13, 1999, Brett Glass wrote:
> Of course, the correct solution to the problem is to build proper tools
> for crafting and analyzing code (goodbye, C and C++!) and to train our
> programmers in good coding techniques. (Most bugs can be boiled down to the
> same dozen or so common programming or architectural mistakes.) Will
> it happen? Not the way things are going. But software quality is not
> a licensing issue. Open source is, again, one way of attempting to
> brute force the problem rather than solving it ab initio.

   The solution to the problem of 'Black Hats' exploiting open
source software before 'White Hats' can fix it is to learn how to
code properly.  If they did enough testing (I believe buffer
overflow, formatting "bugs", etc), the problem would be much
smaller.

--
Chris Costello                                <chris@calldei.com>
Design: The activity of preparing for a design review.