Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:34:05 -0500
From:      "Jaime Bozza" <jbozza@thinkburst.com>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, <johnp@lodgenet.com>, "'John Prince'" <johnp@knight-trosoft.com>, <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ATA Atapi 4.6 Release

While I haven't had a specific problem with FreeBSD (Most of our servers
don't even have CDROM drives), I thought I would share something that
may be relevant.  Recently, we purchased two system containing Benq
(formally Acer) 56X CDROM drives.  While installing Windows 2000 on both
systems, the installation died at trying to read the driver.cab file.
For those who don't know, the file is about 50MB and by far the largest
file that gets copied over during the W2K installation process.

Both systems would not retry the file at all and I had to restart the
install.  Using the same hardware but switching out the CDROM to an
older (32X) drive, the installation worked fine.  I attempted the
installation process about 3-4 times with the older drive and it worked
perfectly every time.  With the 56X drive, I wouldn't *always* have a
problem, but it would frequently die at the driver.cab file copy.

Once in Windows, switching the drive to DMA mode, I've attempted copying
the files again, as well as other CDs that have big files and cannot
duplicate it.  In fact, the drives have been working fine every since.
If you'd like, I could switch the drive back out to PIO mode and see if
I have timeout errors again.

Could it be possible that these drives need some sort of workaround when
in PIO mode?

Jaime Bozza