Date:      Thu, 27 May 2004 01:47:10 +0100
From:      John Murphy <sub00@freeode.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xfce4 port expat/p5-XML-Parser problem

Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net> wrote:

>However, if you actually meant xfterm4, that belongs to =
sysutils/xfce4-utils,=20

/Blush  I did indeed.  I should be more careful.

>so you should try reinstalling that (x11-wm/xfce4 is a so-called =
metaport=20
>which exists mainly to facilitate installing a collection of other ports=
 -=20
>deinstalling and reinstalling it will not change/update any of the ports=
=20
>which actually provide the programs/data).

Tried de and re installing sysutils/xfce4-utils but it didn't help.

>However, sometimes you may find that even after recompiling, a binary =
still=20
>references a shared library which doesn't exist anymore. This can happen=
 if a=20
>different shared library this binary links to is itself linked to the=20
>nonexistent lib. You can find out to what libraries a binary is linked =
by=20
>doing ldd /path/to/binary. You can then again find out with ldd which of=
=20
>those libraries link to what other libraries, eventually finding the one=
=20
>which references the obsolete library, which you can then find the =
respective=20
>port for with pkg_info -W and recompile (of course you can also ldd and =
grep=20
>your way through /usr/local/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib).

That's really informative, thank you.  Turns out xfterm4 is a script so =
ldd
complained.  The errors referred to ld-elf.so.1 but ldd that shedded no =
light.

I hate to admit (after your good advice) to symlinking libexpat.so.4 to
libexpat.so.5 again, just to see if it would work, and it did.  I expect
something will fail at some stage though.

--=20
John.