Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:08:27 +0200
From:      "Peter Korsten" <peterk@iae.nl>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <freebsd_firewire@ChrisBowman.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is anyone working on "Audio and Music Transmission Protocol" (a.k.a. mLAN)?

From: "Christopher R. Bowman" <freebsd_firewire@ChrisBowman.com>

> I am not really interested in music or audio on firewire per se, but I have
> been doiing a lot of investigation of firewire lately (mostly video, scsi,
> and ethernet over firewire).  Could you perhaps send me a link to any specs
> or information you have on this as I have not heard of it before.

General information about mLAN (almost a year old):
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/mLAN/

Developer and licensing information (no specs though):
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/tech/1394mLAN/english/

mLAN is a superset of the AMP (Audio and Music Transmission Protocol) and
has to be licensed (at least at the moment). I would be interested in the
AMP, and look at mLAN later, if/when it becomes an open standard.

Pages with links to PDF specifications of the AMP:
http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/Specifications/Descriptions/AMPV10.htm
(Audio and Music Data Transmission Protocol V.1.0)
http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/Specifications/Descriptions/AM10F1.htm
(Enhancement to Audio and Music Data Transmission Protocol 1.0)
http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/Specifications/Descriptions/TimeCode10Final.htm
(SMPTE Time Code and Sample Count Transmission Protocol Ver.1.0)

Hope this helps.

- Peter