Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 17:21:33 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ISA PnP / snd PnP developments?

> Hi there,
>
> Here are few questions about PnP support...
>
> o Is there any developments currently for Microsoft-ISA PnP support?

There is some support for ISA PnP, but no interaction with the PnP BIOS.

> o Should we consider the BIOS does all job for us, and just
>   retrieve information from BIOS at power up? And with broken BIOS?

No, there are three cases:

 - All devices configured and active.
 - Only boot-related devices configured and active.
 - No PnP BIOS, nothing configured or active.

We have to support all three.

> o What are the interactions between PCI PnP and ISA PnP?

They are generally limited to resource allocations from a shared pool.

> o Does the sound-PnP stuff support such things?

The sound drivers are just consumers of the ISA PnP support.

> I was about to write some parallel chipset dependent code, and I
> realized all chipsets will be controlled identicaly soon (according
> to the ISA PnP standard).

No, they won't be.  PnP just tells you how they are configured.