Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:01:19 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>, imap-uw@freebsd.ady.ro, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: imap-uw security hole -- please update port

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:

> You absolutely do NOT want to make the pine port depend on the imap-uw
> port; nor do you want it to automatically install the IMAP and POP
> servers that are packaged with it.  Either choice would severely tick
> off those of us who use any other IMAP/POP server package. (Also,
> remember, the pine client may be built and installed on machines that
> will never run a local IMAP or POP daemon.)

 Good point!

> Personally, I prefer the Cyrus IMAP server.  Among other things, once
> it has bound to the privileged IMAP port, it gives up root permission.
> Aall deliveries are also run as a specific unprivileged user.  This
> drasticly reduces the severity of any potential security holes.

 Let's not start a IMAP war, OK ? I'll do whatever it takes to secure the
port and after that I'll be glad to chat with you about this (I always
wanted to give it shot to cyrus-imap, but it always happened that I
couldn't build it for various reasons).

> -Pat

 PS: I'm fetching the latest imap-4.1.FINAL.tar.Z (timestamp
Jul 13 01:46)...

 Thanks,
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)