Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:02:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, nschein@prisa.com
Subject:   Re: NIS and AMD

>From: "Nathaniel Schein" <nschein@prisa.com>
>Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:48:48 -0700

>I have been trying to integrate AMD and NIS. I have included the appropriate
>maps and a `ypcat -k amd.home` shows a good amd map. The problem is that AMD
>and the NIS client have become mutually exclusive for me. If I enable both
>in the 'rc.conf' file the boot up proceedure will hang after displaying
>'amd'. But if I comment out the NIS invocation or the AMD invocation in the
>'rc.conf' file it boots without a problem. The 'rc.conf' lines are as
>follows:

>nis_client_enable="YES"
>nisdomainname="prisa.com"
>nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"
>amd_enable="YES"
>amd_flags="-k i386 -y prisa.com -d prisa.com -l syslog:amd /home amd.home
>/share amd.share"

>How do I get AMD to use NIS maps?
>If anyone has any ideas the help would be much appreciated.

OK....  I do this, with reasonable success.

On a NIS client, here are relevant rc.conf.local entries (3.2-R):

nisdomainname="nis.whistle.com"
nis_client_enable="YES"
amd_enable="YES"
amd_flags="-nr -k i386 -l syslog -x all"
amd_map_program="ypcat -k amd.master"

On the NIS master, I also turn on nis_server_enable & nis_ypxfrd_enable.

The (NIS) map "amd.master" contains the mountpoint/map pairs to use for
amd.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915