Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:19:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Andrew Stesin <stesin@breaker.tormoz.net>
Subject:   Re: Bug? VLANs, fxp, Catalyst and link0 story

Andrew Stesin <stesin@breaker.tormoz.net> wrote:
 > ifconfig_fxp0="media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex link0 up"

Do you really have to hardcode the media data?  fxp cards
_should_ autonegotiate fine with Cisco switches, provided
that autonegotiation is enabled on _both_ sides.

Also, I'm not sure about the link0 option.  It enables
downloading of microcode for ceceive bundling to the fxp
card.

 > ifconfig_vlan0="inet 10.99.25.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 vlan 25 \
 >     vlandev fxp0 mtu 1500 up arp"

You don't need to specify "arp".  You don't need "mtu 1500"
either, because fxp supports jumboframes natively (and the
vlan driver knows about it).

 > The problem is: as soon as I say "link0" in ifconfigs for vlanXX
 > interfaces, is just plain doesn't work.

Of course it doesn't work.  "link0" on a vlan interface
specifies that it should assume that its parent interface
supports vlan tagging in hardware.  But the fxp can't do
that.

 > Catalyst doesn't see even a
 > mac-addresses for vlanXX interfaces.

Because there aren't any valid packets on the wire, not
even ARP packets.  ;-)

 > Another problem is: as soon as I remove "link0" from ifconfigs for
 > "carrier" interfaces fxp0 and fxp1 - again it doesn't work.

That's interesting.  I've never needed link0 for any fxp
cards before, and I'm not really sure what the microcode
is good for.  (Sure, I've read the docs, but they don't
say _when_ you should use it and what the advantages and
disadvantages are.)

 > Am I a single person who encounter the same problem? What I'm doing wrong?
 > If this *is* a bug (not just stupidity of mine of bad documentation) - how
 > can I help to correct it?

Here's how I set up VLANs (I'm typing this from my memory,
as I'm currently not logged on a box using VLANs ...  it's
Sunday, after all :-)

   new_vlan=$(ifconfig vlan create)
   ifconfig $new_vlan vlan 42 vlandev fxp0
   ifconfig $new_vlan inet 10.20.30.40/255

Note that the vlan device number is created dynamically,
so it works no matter what other vlan interfaces may
already be configured, and you don't have to care about
interface numbers.  I'm also doing the vlan/vlandev
assignment and the actual configuration in two separate
steps, because it seemed that it didn't always work
reliably when I tried to do both things at once.

Obviously, you can't do the above within /etc/rc.conf
(unfortunately).  I'm using a separate script which does
the work (/etc/start_if.fxp0), and /etc/rc.conf doesn't
contain any ifconfig settings (except for lo0).

Regards
   Oliver