Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:42:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        freebsd-SCSI@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI disconnect with quantum Atlas IV disks.

OK... round two.  As I mentioned in my posting about RAID... I'm
having trouble with my system disconnecting disks during intense usage
(like the nightly finds that run across the disk).

The system is running two 29160 controllers (couldn't buy 2940's) with
LVD cables and terminators (all rated for 160 operation).  With 4.1,
we're running at 40Mhz (80 MB/s) ... which is fine, but I'm wondering
if this could be causing part of the problem.

When might the 160 patch be MFC'd?

I've also fired of a query to Quantum to see if there are any firmware
updates... but a search of their knowledge base doesn't indicate any.

One strange note is that I've found that I have to turn on the drives
slightly after turning on the computer lest they fail to reset
properly.  I don't know what causes this, but changing controllers,
cables and terminators hasn't helped (I also have a set of TechRAM
390F's that exhibit largely the same symptoms).

Would it be possible to code some really BIG bus resets and reprobes
into the SCSI layer instead of disconnecting the drive --- maybe even
some tunable parameter --- It would seem sensible that you could do
with some gaps in performance once you've gotten to this level of
problem.

Dave.