Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:55:31 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: easyboot far into disk

Randy Bush wrote:

> > You misremember; it has to be on the first disk, but it can be in any
> > primary partition there.
>
> doh.  thanks.  game over.

	Actually in the [good|bad] old days of pre-GUI DOS you had to have
something (I'm pretty sure it was command.com) on the first primary
partition, or DOS would pitch a blue hissy fit when you tried to start it
and it couldn't find c:\whatever. I spent many a long hour trying to sort
out dos 6.22, OS/2 Warp and FreeBS 2.1.5 on my little 540 meg hard drive
way back when. I've since given up on OS/2 (sigh) and neatly solved the
multi-os problem with multi-scsi disks. :) The newer versions of DOS (aka
windows 95/8) are more forgiving, even though IIRC the win 98 installer
still tells you flat out that it won't work with a boot selector program if
it detects one.

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"