Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 18:30:01 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PERL_THREAD

> So, there is two questions:
>
> 1. When PERL_THREAD be revived?

When it is properly stable in Perl (ie, when the perl developers
stop acting embarassed about it)

> 2. Why such serious change of functionality was done nearly silent?

Because as near as we could work out, threaded Perl was as close to
non functional as makes no difference, and on asking, we could find
no-one using it.

You are the first user of threaded Perl that I am aware of. :-)

> Now we have solution of downgrading to RELENG_4_3 but what will be in the
> near future when RELENG_4_4 will be forked from RELENG_4_4_RELEASE if latter
> won't support PERL_THREAD?

Why don't you use the port? ports/lang/perl5

Mark Murray
Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn