Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:05:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Volker Paepcke <scratchy@VULCAN.franken.de>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM crashes with signal 8 (Pre-alpha pachset 6)

Hi Volker,

> I've some time now and want to help testing the JDK1.2.2 under
> FreeBSD 4.0 (Stable from mid march). After applying patchset-6
> the sources compiled without any problems (no DPS). But after starting
> AWT/Swing demos (SwingSet, Java2Demo, AWT-Demo-Applets) the VM
> crashes with signal 8 (and 6) after a short popup of a window.
>
> Is this problem related to 4.0? I'm running a SMP kernel now
> and will try an UP kernel later...

This is indeed a problem related to 4.0.  There is a fix for it that will
be in the next patchset.  You might want to hold off until then!

> If I get this working I will test these:
> - Together-3.2
> - Forte-1.0
> - various self-written apps using JDBC, RMI, Corba, JAI, Java2D etc.

That would be extremely useful :).

> These are running fine under Blackdown's RC4 except Forte which is so
> slow that I need to reboot into Linux if I need it :-(

I can't guarantee the native port will be any quicker.  Especially since
its speed is somewhat hampered by the lack of a JIT (by default).  A number
of the open source JITs are known to work with it though, you might like to
try one out.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083