Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:23:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joey Guhlin <bahwi@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1.1 and 4.2 halt when booting, Gigabyte GA-6BXU

On one of our servers that is running at Gigabyte
GA-6BXU, the boot process freezes on 4.1.1 and 4.2,
but works perfectly in 4.1(which is why we are once
again downgrading to 4.1). The problem, as reported by
kernel  -v is when it attempts to scan the isa bus for
PnP devices. I have disabled the PNP OS is in the
BIOS, Enabled it, tried manually configuring the ISA
devices(instead of Auto for PNP in the BIOS, set it to
Manual). I tried disabling the PNP parallel port bus
scan as specified in LINT, I added the PNPBIOS option
to the kernel, nothing worked or even helped. I was
wondering if anyone knew of a way to fix this, or if
it will be fixed in the base system, or if there is
some way to completely disable PNP in 4.2. I know
there was in 2.2.x and I think in 3.x, but it seems to
have disappeared in 4.2. Thanks, and please reply to
this e-mail address as I am not subscribed to this list.