Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 18:42:28 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        "Keith Spencer" <bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing a LAN

At 08:33 AM 9/23/97 +1000, you wrote:
>HI all,
>I am getting there...Brian told me how to ppp -alias to allow my LAN
>to route out.  They do have static c class IPs though.
>is ppp -alias still whats needed in this situation?
>For a small 20 box LAN do I need named running or will a hosts file
>do?

Have you read http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html. I've currently
have a packard bell(ugh) 486/66 running ppp -alias, running on 56k modem,
works great! You'll need to edit ppp.conf for auto dial, then I add "ppp
-alias -auto sitename" to you rc.local with the auto switch set, the bsd
box will dialout whenever there's tcp traffic. From my experience you can't
ping machines on the lan, but all other tcp services work(cept for quake :(
). As for the proxy, that depends on your link-out and the load...

Later