Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 06:48:19 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail 8.11.0

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 14:03 -0600, Chris Fedde wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:57:35 +0100  Dominic Mitchell wrote:
>
> > On the contrary - I find it a complete godsend.  It makes
> > replacing the standard sendmail with a port/package and
> > absolute breeze.  It's far nicer than having each port hack
> > around in /usr/sbin for no good reason.
>
> My point is that there is a perfectly good mechinism in
> existance to allow switching between MTA.  The rc.conf
> mechinism works well and is consistant for all other components
> of the system.  In this one case we add a layer of indirection
> below rc.conf.

MUAs don't know about rc.conf. :)

> Why not simply use something like
>
>     mta_enable="YES"
>     mta=/usr/sbin/sendmail
> or
>     mta_ena
>     mta=/usr/sbin/qmail
>
> and the appropriate frag in /etc/rc to work with this

That's just starting the SMTP daemon.  What about sending local /
remote mail using the usual "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t" command
line?

What has been said before:  Try to use something different from
sendmail and suddenly you will see what mailwrapper is good for!
Or try to use a different sendmail from what comes with the base
system (like from ports or "self produced and bottled") while
still updating your base.

I would even dare to say NO_MAILWRAPPER(sp?) shouldn't be there
and there should be /etc/mail/mailer.conf only instead of
NO_SENDMAIL, but that's for traditional reasons I guess.
Installing your mailer _anywhere_ and using mailer.conf as the
only resource to tell which one to use would be the easiest and
most flexible solution IMO for _everybody_ -- or did I miss
something?  Where is this mechanism still not enough?  I can't
think of a situation.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net