Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:39:29 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Gianmarco <gmarco@giovannelli.it>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mldonkey & user ppp : no buffer space avail

--------------enigE0CA8790A507732DF2F95599

Gianmarco wrote:

> Hi all.
> I have a strange problem, which is summarize in the subj.
>
> I am trying to use mldonkey-core program on a box 4.9-RC (soon 4.9-stable)
> which is my adsl gateway with user PPP and PPPoE.
>
> It is an Epia 5000 (533 mhz) and I have used both the nic (rl0 and vr0) on the
> PPP interface without any differences for the problem solving.
>
> After a while (~10minutes) mldonkey runs, it freeze my ppp connection,
> exausting all the mbufs on the tun0 interface, I presume

I think it's more likely that you're overflowing the queue in your dsl-modem
by not limiting the maximum upload bandwidth used by mldonkey. This is a
common problem with asymetric connections like ADSL lines. You can work around
this problem by either limiting the maximum upload bandwidth in mldonkey
itself or use another means of traffic shaping (like DUMMYNET) to limit the
bandwidth used by upstream connections to some value below the maximum
upstream capacity  of your ADSL line.

--
    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org