Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:40:58 +0700
From:      ulairi@ulairi.org
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weirdness with HD geometry

First, the setup particulars:
SuperMicro P6DBE motherboard, bios rev 3.1
Seagate 40 GB UDMA drive is master on IDE0
36x generic CDROM is master on IDE1
BIOS says geometry is 16838/16/63, which matches the printed label on the drive.
4.5R install CD in boot-v mode shows that ad0 is detected with 77545/16/63
geometry, which is... insane.

Tried using both the kernel-detected geometry, and the BIOS-detected one - same
result: "read error" trying to boot.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious or should I go get the chicken and the
goat ready for the sacrificial rites of Black Magic of FreeBSD (tm)?