Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2011 13:08:10 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RS / RSPRO FreeBSD

There's a couple of ways you can do this.

The first way is to build a small MFS kernel that has a compressed
filesystem image in the MFS (geom_gzip / geom_ulzma) which is then
booted from flash or network and runs entirely from RAM. I built a
busybox style system using the rescue+crunchgen stuff to do exactly
this kind of thing.

The second way is to build a complete tree, write it out to a USB or
SD card and then boot the kernel from the internal flash. You'll need
to patch things slightly so the system gets a chance to finish probing
the USB devices before you can use them as root devices.

The third way is to build a small geom_gzip/geom_ulzma image that
isn't included in the MFS, and then generate an image which uses that.

I've done the first two and I'm currently using them both at home -
the former for test hostaps, the latter for testing freebsd/mips.

You can feed kernel and rootfs images to mkfwimage. They have to be
zero-padded out to multiples of 64k or things just will silently not
work. Then you can do an initial flash of your unit with that image
using the flash helper (eg holding down the reset button when powering
the unit on.) IT'll partition the flash for you as needed which is
helpful.

Once FreeBSD is booted you can dd a kernel into the flash, again it
needs to be sized a multiple of 64k AND written out using a 64k
blocksize (eg dd if=3Dkernel of=3D/dev/redboot/kernel bs=3D64k; assuming
kernel is already padded out to the nearest 64k.) I think you need to
write zero's out for the rest of the kernel flash or it will get
highly confused.

I don't have time to sit down and write up a comprehensive howto on
this stuff. I'm on holiday in February so maybe I'll be able to do it
then. :-)

Adrian