Date:      24 Mar 2002 02:12:07 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: command history for user accounts

"Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com> writes:

> My regular users created with adduser do not have any
> command history like my root has. I am using the default sh shell.
> I have command on the root account.

All shells have history, probably enabled by shell default.  Determine
which shell your users are getting by default (/etc/adduser.conf, or
better, /etc/passwd) and check the man page for the history-controlling
environmental variables and "set" commands.  Then investigate how the
users have these set and maybe how they got set (shell startup scripts).
Some scripts come from "/usr/share/skel/", others are in /etc/.