Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 14:14:06 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Funn Dipp <isetr0@sevicron.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
Subject:   Re: What has happened to the ports system???

Funn Dipp wrote:

> A message was posted Friday I believe to the -current and -stable mailing lists that the ports system was getting restructured and therefore not to cvsup ports therefore risking an inconsistent tree.  Further, an all clear message is to be sent out when the conversion is done.  I haven't seen this message yet, but I cvsup'ed my ports (risky fool that I am) Sunday afternoon and it seemed to go ok - I noticed changes all the way down to x11-wm...so if they're going in alpha order, majority of changes appears have to been done.

The CVSROOT availability was made Sunday evening PDT time on cvs-all.
I never saw an announcement on -questions or -stable. There was a
heads up on -ports.

> I concur as to why there was no mention to -Announce - this is obviously something that affects more than those who like to wade through the other afore-mentioned lists.
>
> FYI - I use cvsup and the sample ports-supfile to update my ports - not sure what portcheckout is and/or how it works.  My guess is that it just gets the specific port while my cvsup method synchronizes the entire tree which includes that bsd.port.mk file.  One possibility is to use the ports-supfile sample and comment out ports-all and uncomment ports-base which, I believe, should get the necessary file.

You really read the ports-base but I get them all with ports-all. It
takes a long time to upgrade your ports and I have a DSL line.

Kent

> aaaanyway - back to work for me, I guess ;-)  Good luck.
>
> isetr0
>
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 06:13:25PM +0200, Peter Olsson wrote:
> > What has happened to the ports system???
> >
> > Today when I used portcheckout to get the squid-2.3 port and at the
> > same time updated ports/Mk, the ports system seemed to break. It
> > complains about the port using an old layout and that I should
> > update it to match bsd.port.mk. How do I update it?
> >
> > I have never had any problems with the ports system which is a superb
> > invention, but now I'm getting frustrated.
> >
> > And why has there been no mention of whatever problem it is on
> > FreeBSD-Announce?
> > And no thanks, I won't subscribe to any other mailing list than
> > FreeBSD-Announce. Flame me how much you want, but time is unfortunately too
> > precious a resource to spend on FreeBSD-questions. Which means that I would
> > appreciate if any replies to this email are directed to my email, not the list.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Peter Olsson           pol@leissner.se

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA