Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 17:51:26 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@cswnet.com>
To:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

I assume *most* port scans are prep work for B&E.  If a scan is coming
from a box labled as <testing for your favorite exploitable software so we
can warn the admin to upgrade>.<appropriate domain for such testing with both
forward and reverse DNS> I probably will ignore it, at least once
I make sure all of my machines are not vulnerable.  What other legitimate
reasons are there for portscanning being done by someone who is not
responsible for that IP space?

If the scan comes from one of my admin boxes, it is ok.  If some joker is
testing out the latest tool so he can go use it at work, I tell him not to
do it again.  Play in your own backyard.  I don't get too exited about the
fact that they are scanning.  But I do want to make an impression on the
kids that this is not acceptable behavior before they advance to B&E.

I have on occasion scanned my customers.  I was checking for BO servers.
We got a lot of compromised windows boxes fixed that way.  The cops also
go around looking for broken windows and other telltales when they are
aware of a problem in the area.  They have woken me up with the search
lites.

I suppose my upstream provider would be permitted to check for whatever
problem servers they want to warn me about, but I would prefer they just
bring the problem to my attention so I can find and fix them myself.
And if they are scanning me it better be from a box with a name that
suggests it would be used for such purposes.  Otherwise I'll be calling
them to tell them that they may have a compromised box on their network.

My users, in general, are not sophisticated enough to be aware of and
testing for security problems.