Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 13:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A problem with disklabel & "use entire disk" on 2.0.5R.

> : Please, valid and correct partition tables are _critical_ to making
> : sure Microslop code does not wipe you out!!!  I think I'll down grade
> : to DOS 5.0, at least that install had a clue :-)
>
> Is there some way to write a valid partion table to BSD only disks?
> Wouldn't that solve the problem, or am I dreaming...

Problem is that boot1 lives in sector 0 in this case, so anytime you
install new boot blocks you end up with a 50K not quite right bogus
partition table from the boot1 code.

Newfs needs fixed to deal with the fact it _must_ preserve the existing
partition table if installing boot code to physical sector 0 of the disk.