Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:25:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, ejh@mnw.eas.slu.edu
Subject:   Re: Disk drive errors Toshiba 6200M

> From: Eric Haug <ejh@mnw.eas.slu.edu>
>
> I bought two 6200M's and both mother boards exhibit similiar problems.
> I have configured two 6200M's into one with 64M memory and one processor.
> Two disks by  MICROPOLIS of model 4345WS
> FreeBSD current FreeBSD 3.0-980520-SNAP would not successfully
> newfs the f partition. I think the system just hung.
> The SNAP with the CAM changes would successfully complete.
> The current problem is that both disks will come up with errors
> and go "offline".
> With the CAM SNAP part of the error messages:
> Jun  9 14:32:27 gumbo /kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): WRITE(10). CDB: 2a 0 0 79 81 f5

I have successfully built a single dual system from two 6200m's now
running the 980520 snap...

Your symptoms are very similar to mine.  I (and other folks) had
to upgrade the firmware on the Micropolis drives.  The firmware
upgrade is on:

  http://www.addit.de/SUPPORT/micr-eproms.htm

It lists X504_4.exe as the current fw for the 4345xx drives (but
the comment still says X502 and the link is still to ``X502_4.exe''.)
Probably the ``X504'' is a typo.

I still have X502_4.exe, so if you can't get it from the above site,
you can get it from:

  ftp://ftp.mcs.net/mcsnet.users/imdave/6200m-micropolis-fw.tar

which also contains the Adaptech drivers you need to create the boot
floppy for the upgrade.

Good luck.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@mcs.net