Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 21:29:27 +0100
From:      John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird cdrom problerm

Hello newbies

I have a cdrom drive (32x speed) which SuSE Linux 6 detects but freebsd
3.1 doesn't. I can boot from the cd if the cd is SUSE but not FreeBSD
3.1 (i.e it is a relatively new board and the cdrom drive is set
bootable). It is jumpered to be secondary master IDE. There are
correctly jumpred hard drives on the other three channels.

If I install a linux system, and put the freebsd cd in after
installation, the cd is read perfectly. I still cannot boot to cd if I
restart the machine - it gives the error 'boot record not found on
device'..

[FreeBSD 3.1]

If I make a bootable pair of floppies, and configure the kernel, select
cdrom as media, it cannot find the cd still.

Linux detects the cd as a CRD-8322B ATAPI CDROM drive. It is about 1
year old.

What to do?

Regards,
--