Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 1996 14:59:27 -0700
From:      Richard Stanford <richards@herald.net>
To:        FreeBSD ISP list <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: User name length limit increase

Gary Kline wrote:

>         anywhere?  How does Sun, for one, get away with logins
>         like `john.q.engineer@eng.sun.com'??

Well, that's an email address, not a login -- which is probably an alias
to something unpronouncable like enginejq on the eng machine.  It's a
fair question, though.  My system skills aren't good enough that I feel
comfortable changing the length and diving into whichever critical piece
of software no longer works, but I'd love to be able to offer longer
usernames...

-Richard