Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 01:10:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Home networks (or 10Base-T ways to annoy your spouse)

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>      It's cheaper because you don't have to buy a hub with 10B2 -- I
> wasn't thinking about the cabling costs.  However, snaking coax hither
> and yon is enough of a pain that 10BT is looking real good, even with
> the added expense (I'd probably get an 8-port hub and not a cheap 5-port
> one, just for future expansion ;-).

10b2 is more expensive in maintainence.  I drove 70 miles and back
one afternoon because the secretarial pool decided that they needed to
rearrange their desks.  They neglected to unplug the coax first.

At the time, the company I worked for charged $90/hr for onsite service.
I was onsite when I left the office. :)

Its much easier if the computer plugs into the wall like the telephone.
"Plug the phone into the blue socket, and the computer into the orange."

>      However, with 10BT, you do have to plan out how many PC's will go
> into a room, as it's a pain to (for example) add a second PC to a room
> if you only have one 10BT cable coming out of the wall ....  It's much
> simpler with coax.

I wired the buildings we're in, and ran 4 cat5 cables to each outlet
box.  This gave me one for the phones, 1 for ethernet and 2 for expansion.

3 months later I ran out of ethernet outlets.  I've got a cheap 8 port
hub in my office that has a crossover cable to the wall.  You have
to observe traditional 4-3-2 rules, but thats the solution to running
out of connections. :)

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|