Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:08:34 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Thinking about PORTCOMMENTS

This is a vague idea which has been bouncing around my head for
awhile, but I haven't forced myself to find the time to produce
the "proof of concept" to show what I mean.  Still, the recent
pain with PORTCOMMENT reminded me about my idea, and I thought
I might as well mention the idea.

Why should we keep trying to stuff more and more things into 'make'
variables in the Makefile for a port?  I understand the advantage
of having fewer files, so we want to put more information into the
Makefile, but does that information really have to be done as
'make' variables?  How about if we did it as some kind of fake-XML?

"fake" XML in that the first character of each line would be a
comment character, so that 'make' would ignore the lines.  Then
we could have things like:

#<port-xml>
#<portcomment>
#  blah blah blah
#</portcomment>
#</port-xml>

Is the value of the proposed PORTCOMMENT value actually used in
any make-targets?  Or is it just read by some program to generate
HTML pages?  (...this is the part that I should have investigated
more...).  If it is not used in any commands which are generated
by some make target, then I think it would be easier & better if
we tried some kind of "fake XML" approach.