Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 16:54:39 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -fomit-frame-pointer for the world build

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

TL> Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
TL> [ ... -fomit-frame-pointer ... ]
TL> > Yes, Terry, I'd read this note. However, it does not clarify for me which
TL> > exactly functionality is lost with omitting this.
TL> >
TL> > I tried to build some binaries with -fomit..., then tried to debug it a
TL> > bit, and gdb shows me both backtrace stack and arguments, so I was in
TL> > doubt a bit -- so here is my question ;-)
TL>
TL> Try it again on a SPARC or other RISC machine that pushes
TL> register window frames on the stack after a certain function
TL> call depth is achieved.
TL>
TL> I was pretty sure at one time that the PPC platform had a
TL> variant of this problem, as well.

Well, this clarifies much more than I test -- the only platform I tried to
check this was i386.

TL> If you want a definative answer, then the people to ask are
TL> the GCC implementors, who put the option into the compiler
TL> for a reason, and added the descriptive text to the .info
TL> file in the first place.

I didn't doubt it ;-)

TL> Realize that this is a GCC issue, not a FreeBSD issue.

What's the issue? Existence of -fomit... option? ;-)

Actually, I was not specific enough in my initial question. It should
sound something like:

I presume building FreeBSD RELENG_4 world on i386 with
-fomit-frame-pointer may lead to some undesired effects. But I neither
found them in my (not so deep though) tests nor read info about it except
GCC-info's note that you cite.

8-12% of code efficiency is not too small...

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]