Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:53:10 -0800
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        MICHAEL GROSS <mdgrosse@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI-CDROM

MICHAEL GROSS wrote:
My advice to every single person who is attempting to use ATAPI-CDROM is
to check the jumper on the drive for master/slave setting. Make sure it
is set to the configuration that you are using. That being said...

> I have installed FreeBSD from a old Mitsumi-CDRom.
>
> Now I bought a new ATAPI CDRom and I am not able to mount this CDRom
> although it works on Win95 and DOS perfectly (Bootmanager).

I can not state why the heck WINDOZE configures the drive and FreeBSD
does not. MY best guess is that it is a PLUG AND PRAY issue. I had
precisely the same problem.

> On startup the FreeBSD says:
>
> wdc1: unit0 (atapi): <HITACHI CDR-7730/0008a>, removable, iordy
> wcd0:698kb/sec, 128kb cache, audio play, 128 volume levels, ejectable tray
> wcd0:medium type unknown, unlocked

The above tells you that the kernel is correctly configured.

> when I try to mount it:
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c  /cd

The above is the correct commandline assuming that /cd exists

> mount says:
> cd9660: /dev/wcd0c: Device not configured
>
> I have loaded then drive with a CD (as noted in the FAQ) an built a new

Very good. I would have asked "is there a CD in the drive" had you not
stated so.

> kernel with the ATAPI-option: it does not work.
> Can anybody help me?

Your system is configured exactly like mine. I had the same trouble as
you. I switched the jumper and now my trouble is gone. Check it out.

I came by this answer using a process of elimination. Can someone give a
more authoritative explantion on jumper settings and drives to this
fellow.  I am too new to be 100% certain that I have the solution to
this problem nailed down.

If I can get some authoritative response on jumper settings I will make
a submittal to freebsd-docs to get the FAQS to include this discussion.
I have seen many people with correctly configured systems ask how to get
their IDE CDROM working during my 2 months reading this list. These
users all report device not configured.

> MICHAEL GROSS alias mdgrosse@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at

Hope this helps.
--
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net