Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 16:33:30 -0500
From:      rthomas@pamd.cig.mot.com (Robert Owen Thomas)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD setup problem

hello, all--

well, since i have heard FreeBSD's support is second to none...8-)

i am attempting to load FreeBSD on a Zeos tower.  the configuration is:
     1) 486 DX2 66mhz
     2) 8 MB RAM
     3) 340 MB IDE Hard drive (all dos FAT-16)
     4) 573 MB CDC SCSI-1 hard drive on an Adaptec 1522 controller
     5) Mitsumi IDE CD-Rom drive attached to the Mitsumi controller
     6) 3-1/2" Floppy drive ("a:")
     7) Sound Blaster Pro sound card

the problem is this:  when i insert the FreeBSD 2.0 boot floppy, everything
goes according to plan until it attempts to mount the floppy device as the
root filesystem.  it then panics and reboots.  after the reboot, my bios
tells me that the floppy drive is not correct.  i then enter my CMOS setup,
and save & exit (my floppy is, indeed, still correct in the setup).  hmmm...
both MS-DOS and Linux (ugh, which is worse?) load and operate without error.

this is really perplexing, and i do not know how to proceed from this
point.  although both dos and Linux work, i would *much* rather run
FreeBSD.

regards and thanx,
--robert
--

o  robert owen thomas: unix consultant. cymro ydw i. user scratching post.  o
o       e-mail: Robert.Thomas@pamd.cig.mot.com --or-- robt@cymru.com        o