Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:44:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   interpreting netstat -m output

Hi,

I'm working with a box that is apparently running out of mbufs:

looutput: mbuf allocation failed
looutput: mbuf allocation failed
All mbuf clusters exhausted, please see tuning(7).

Looking at netstat -m, I get the following:

144/9472/26624 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        134 mbufs allocated to data
        10 mbufs allocated to packet headers
94/6656/6656 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
15680 Kbytes allocated to network (78% of mb_map in use)
95798 requests for memory denied
102 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

What is the difference between the "mbufs in use" line and the "mbuf
clusters in use" line?  The clusters are showing that a max was exceeded,
but not the mbufs line at top.

Looking at tuning(7) and reading up in the archives, it looks like I
do need to bump up nmbclusters in loader.conf, and possibly bump
down the tcp socket send/recv space.

Can anyone clarify the netstat output for me?

Thanks,

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman