Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 18:13:56 +0800 (WST)
From:      Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
To:        Richard Kuhns <sawmill!rjk@uunet.uu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hylafax/faxgetty under FreeBSD-2.0.5

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Richard Kuhns wrote:

> Is anyone using this?  While I can install & configure Hylafax just fine,
> once faxgetty grabs the line -- it sets the modem register S0 to 0 (don't
> autoanswer) and listens for the modem to say `RING' -- the device is always
> busy as far as kermit/cu are concerned.

The solution I found (for slip connections) was to kill -STOP faxgetty.pid
so the call didn't hang up on connect:

  echo " stopping faxgetty - will restart after downing slip"
  kill -stop `ps -ax | grep faxgetty | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
  sleep 5
  slattach -a -h -z -r '/usr/local/bin/sl-dial.script' -s 115200 /dev/cuaa5

Then restart faxgetty after I shutdown the slip link:

  echo "Restarting faxgetty in 5 seconds..."
  sleep 5
  kill -cont `ps -ax | grep faxgetty | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`

Works well for me.

> I've seriously considered trying to yank out the `is this serial port
> busy?' code from sio.c; would this stand a chance of working, or are there
> other interdependencies that I've not considered?

I'm doing this in 2.0.5 but I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work
in current

> Thanks for any suggestions.
> --
> Rich Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
> PO Box 6249
> 100 Sawmill Road
> Lafayette, IN  47903
> (317)477-6000 x319

   _-_|\    Terry Dwyer 	  E-Mail: tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au
  /     \   System Administrator  Phone: +61 9 491 5161     Fax: +61 9 221 2631
  *_.^\_/   Telecom Australia     Telstra Corporation       MIME capable mailer
       v    Perth  WA                 ( I do not speak for Telstra or Telecom )