Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 08:29:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which is the better deal

> In message <Pine.OSF.3.95.961014095643.1731B-100000@protocol.eng.umd.edu>, Chuc
> k Robey writes:
> >I have two options available to me, in getting the twin cpus for a Pentium
> >Pro smp board.  I can't afford the price of 200MHz cpus, they gone past
> >$900 each, but I can get either:
> >
> >166 MHz with 512 K Cache or
> >180 MHz with 256 K Cache
> >
> >I intend this for FreeBSD only, don't bother about things like MS
> >software.  I can get either for less than $550 each, what's your guys
> >feelings about which might be better?
> >
> >BTW, this would be on a 64MB system, with 4 GB of scsi disk.
>
> I'd take the 512K cache any time.  The PP seems so cache starved to me
> that I have decided never to by a 256k version for my own money.

And in additon to phk's reason for the 512K version I will add that this
is a 166 chip above, and that is externally clocked at 66MHz, giving
a faster memory bus.  Stay away from the ppro 150 and 180 for the simple
fact that it has an external memory bus clock of 60Mhz.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD