Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:05:02 -0500
From:      Jon Adams <jkadams@computer.org>
To:        Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oracle 8i on FreeBSD 5.1

Nikolas Britton wrote:

> Jon Adams wrote:
>

>> BTW: please do not tell me to try Oracle 9i, or that I should use
>> another version of FreeBSD, or something like that, I am locked in
>> this hardware and OS, so I need to get it to work with the current
>> setup as much as possible.
>>
> What about PostgreSQL? :-)
> I had a hard enough time getting Oracle 9i2 installed and working with
> Redhat 7.3 for a Compiere ERP/CRM setup
>
> http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml
> Follow that guide and setup a test system using Redhat 7.x. Once you
> are comfortable with installing/setting up/running Oracle on this
> platform you can tranfer that knowledge into setting it up in Linux
> Compat Mode (which essentially is redhat 7.2) on FreeBSD. Thats the
> only advice I can offer.

PostGres is fine, I use it in production on a Linux box that I host
sites on, but for the applications on my FBSD box, they _have_ to have
Oracle 8i  (hardware doesnt support a newer version), but I will be
replicating Oracle 8i databases, stored procs, triggers, sequences,
etc... dont want to have to port the databases back and forth between a
different platfrom (i.e. PostGres).. note this isnt a production system

I have set up Oracle on Linux before.. 4 times, on Red Had 7.1 and
7.2... Its not that I dont know how to set up Oracle.. my problem is
really not that deep, its just that somehow the system cant find libdl
even though its there in /compat/linux/lib and i am using
/compat/linux/bin/bash as the shell.... I know either something is wrong
with my environment vars or I need to put an -L/compat/linux/lib
somewhere in the Oracle installation...  I just cannot figure out which
it is...

Thanks though...

Jon Adams -
"Chance favors the prepared mind"
email: jka@ja6.com | jkadams@computer.org
web: http://webpages.uncc.edu/~jkadams
AOL IM: j2k4real
GPG Sig: 2965 F58A 5DF8 B4C5 16D2 0AB4 ACE2 C4A1 D105 50D2

believed to be clean.