Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:04:41 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 and the sheer number of problem reports

On 26 February 2012 11:32, Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> w=
rote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 26 February 2012 18:16:53 Chris Rees wrote:
>> On 24 February 2012 01:35, Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com=
> wrote:

>> > allow them some fun too.

>> > Did you read deeply into the strategy behind the releases? If I rememb=
er right, the odd numbers are a little bit more experimental compared to th=
e even numbers. For myself, I try to stick with even numbers whenever possi=
ble. If I install FreeBSD on a serious machine, I never use x.0. It must be=
 at least x.1.

>> There's no such odd/even number policy with FreeBSD-- I think you're
>> thinking of another OS ;)
>>
> maybe something got stuck in my head with the move from 4 to 5.

4 to 5 was SMP-related, and when the Project decided to move to
time-based rather than feature-based releases -- pure coincidence that
5 was odd.

> How easy was the move to 6 then?

_Just_ before my time I'm afraid ;)

> Independent of this, it is still true that there is always the older bran=
ch available when a new one opens at .0.

>> You're right that x.0 is slightly more experimental in general though
>> (by its nature, it must be).
>
> And has nothing to do with FreeBSD as such.

Exactly :)

Chris