Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 18:29:26 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        behanna@zbzoom.net, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jim@siteplus.net
Subject:   Re: 4.1-RELEASE pccard?

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 09:28:09AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0010031059520.29703-100000@topperwein.dyndns.org> Chris BeHanna writes:
> : > It might not be your problem, but it was easily/grottily solved with a
> : > few lines like in /usr/src/sys/dev/ed/if_ed_pccard.c such as :
> : >
> : >         ether_addr[0] = 0;
> : >         ether_addr[1] = 0xe0;
> : > 	.. etc..
> : >         ether_addr[5] = 0x26;
> : >
> : > Nasty hack and all, not the right way etc. etc. but in a results
> : > oriented world and all! =) Obviously I wouldn't advocate this sort of
> : > kludgery, it's a pain for things like cvsup.
> :
> :   If you find you have to do this a lot, you can do one of two
> : things:
>
> Isn't that what the ether keyword is for.
> 	ether 0x12
> or whatever.  Pccardd also tries to figure it out itself, but
> sometimes needs help.

I know what the MAC address is supposed to be! I've been through all
of the cards attribute memory but can't find it. It was about a month
back now, but the only MAC address that works was not anywhere within
the cards memory that I could see.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as surely it has to either be
in there somewhere or perhaps (unlikely?) coded somehow, but I
certainly couldn't find it at all. Which is why I opted for the nasty
hack.

I know it looks really stupid, but honestly I didn't step lightly into
hardcoding my MAC address before really trying very hard to use the
ether offset option!

I'll give anything else a go to find it properly as I'd rather have a
less ugly hack... Although...  the net card itself had a dodgy cable
converter (the thing that goes from RJ45 <-> PCcard-whatever it is 15
pin connector) so I've soldered a RJ45 female connector directly onto
the pccard pcb. I wasn't expecting this to work as I've not got the
most precise soldering iron!

Stop laughing! It's been on 24/7 for a month since with no problems
other than a dieing LCD screen. It makes a great router/mail server at
home.

        Steve