Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 19:03:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        jorgense@sol.acs.uwosh.edu (Paul D. Jorgensen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Todays dumb question...

Paul D. Jorgensen wrote:

> I have see several mentions on this book:
>
> > Okay, I bought Nemeth, the red book, and a light is slowly starting
>
> but didn't find any references to it in the FAQ's.  Could someone tell
> me what exactly is this book?  Thanks much,  Paul

_Unix System Administration Handbook_ second edition
by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass, Trent R Hein
1995 Prentice Hall PTR   ISBN 0-13-151051-7

from the forward:

This is not a nice, neat book for a nice, clean world.  It's
a nasty book for a nasty world...  The fact is that system
administration *is* difficult...  This book will help you tune
your network to maximize throughput, minimiz delay, and avoid
single points of failure.  It will also give you hints on how
to let the good guys in while keeping the bad guys out.
  --Eric Allman and Marshal Kirk McKusick, August 1994

from me:  If you know everything there is to know about BSD,
hey, write a better book.  If you don't know much about BSD,
you want this book.  It will answer most of the first couple
of hundred questions you are going to have if you are new to
BSD.  It is 779 pages of answers and it comes with a CDROM
full of goodies.  It has more readable, findable, immediately
useful information than any other two or three books I found
in many trips to several "computer" book stores.

Table of Contents

BASIC ADMINISTRATION
1) Where to Start
2) Booting and Shutting Down