Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 19:30:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        dicen@hooked.net
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

As dicen@hooked.net wrote:

>  This modem is
> set by default not to do anything on a DTR transition. To hang it up you
> do the correct thing which is escape with "+++" and then execute ATH.

This is always wrong for Unix systems.  You should configure your
modem correctly.

> User ppp only seams to cut the DTR.

This is the correct behaviour.  Who tells any program that your modem
is using Hayes-style commands at all?

> So I have now set the modem to be a PC type which will go into command
> state with a DTR transition. This introduces other problems. Since
> cutting DTR now doesn't reset the state of the modem, it just hangs it
> up, doing a redial right after will not work. You have to wait a couple

AT&D3 or AT&D4 are supposed to make the modem drop the connection, and
reinitialize it as much as possible.  Of course, there's no ``Hayes
standard'', so you gotta verify with your modem manual.

It's usual that many modems are not immediately ready to go again,
that's why most dial scripts wait another couple of seconds.

> This really needs to be put in the FAQ. I would rather have an escape
> done "+++" and the an ATH to hang up the modem but atleast it works now.
> Is this code in the termios library?

No, and i hope nobody would ever get _that_ idea. :-)  Or what would
you say seeing +++ on your directly connected terminal since the
computer was just telling you now that you should ``hangup''? ;-)

Something that crucial (wrt. system security, phone costs etc.)
should be left to the hardware.  Working around this in software (some
programs like mgetty, seyon do, in an attempt to cooperate with faulty
hardware) is a crock only.

> I am posting this to questions, current and stable becuase it applies to
> all of them.

No.  It's probably most applicable to questions now :), but since
i'm not subscribed there, i leave it to -current.

> You can configure majordomo not to send duplicate emails
> for different mail lists. It isn't that hard.

And please, to which list should it decide to send the single copy
then?  Do you expect majordomo reading your mail first?  Not bad.
``Hey, this mail contains a very basic question, i should best delete
the Cc's for hackers and current.''  Or more like: ``Hey, this jerk
has been sending a mail to twentyfive mailing lists, i will best send
it to /dev/null instead.'' :-))

--
cheers, J"org