Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:33:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyclic filesystem (WAS: Re: truss, trace ??)

> I for one couldn't care less how good the implementation is. I would just
> like a nice efficient way of making any logfile max out at a certain size,
> plus minus a little. I think you could just say that when you filled one
> block (no matter what blocksize you run on the disk) and you need to
> add a new one to the file, just grab the first block, remove it from the
> front, clear it, append it to the end and start filling in data. Mininum
> cyclic filesize, two blocks. Always cut at full blocksizes.

[ ... ]

> So... would this be hard to do, if you did it in the not-so-perfect, but easy
> way I described?

1)	Make FS stacking work (good luck; I've been submitting patches
	on this one for years... lieterally).

2)	Once stacking works, hide the mechanics and attribution in the
	stacking layer.

Yes, this means copying the file back in itself on truncation, but
it would work.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---