Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 10:34:22 +1100
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Colin <cwass99@home.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug-fixing previous -RELEASE, was Re: speaking of 3.4...

On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 12:43:04PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
>
> > (Leaving Jordan's original message for context)
> >
> > I think I just "got it".   Is the following description correct:
>
> Unfortunately it looks like Jordan misinterpreted your question - you were
> right the first time. Once a -RELEASE is out the door it stays that way. A
> -RELEASE is a snapshot of -STABLE at a particular point in tim (see the
> FAQ for a pretty ascii picture of the process).
>
> You were asking for a track which is "-RELEASE + bugfixes", which doesn't
> strictly exist -- but the thing which most people seem to be missing in
> this discussion is that what goes into -stable *IS* 95% bugfixes (or
> trivial changes like adding an option to a command). Trying to add major
> new features from -current often has the nasty habit of breaking things,
> so it isn't done much, and most of the new features come in the next
> (x.0-RELEASE) version.
>
> -STABLE seems to be what you (and a lot of other people in this
> discussion) want, you just might not know it.

thanks for explaining this properly for the first time ... i've
been wondering aboout this very question for some 4 years now.

i'll beg this question, though, how does one track -stable,
"properly" ?

or put anouter way, is it possible to pick and choose the
patches (updates) that come down the cvs pipe every night ?

i ask this in light of you remarks concerning what -stable real
is, and in context of its position in the overal scheme of
things. to go on .. the impression i got from the original
question is that this  person (me and others i dare with rather
limited resources as well) might find the traffic some what
financially trying, given most f the rest of the world still
charges internet access by the byte as well as by the minute.
tracking the whole tree could run up a tidy bill, not a real
probelm for those in the trade so to speak but us "hangers on".

it would be nice to have a -stable that would allow us to pick
and chooose the fixes we would add given our particular needs
and or overall systems stratagies. and, so we return to the
original proposition, being, a -release (sau 2 or 3 times a
year, to allow for good regression testing and QA) with a
stream of mix and match bug fixes.

advertised and delivered as spec'd this would make a far more
reasonable intranet customer pallitable offering than what we
currently have.

we currently cater for the developers and the educational
requirements, as well as the very very small niche at the tope
of the internet pyramid .. the services povidors, but the bulk
of the middle (where most of the work and value really) is left
out to dry so to speak .. ok i'm starting to froth at the mouth
sorry.

regards

jonathan