Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:24:19 +0200
From:      Claude Buisson <clbuisson@orange.fr>
To:        FreeBSD-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   drm-[stable|next]-kmod and MAXCPU

Hello,

I tried to switch an amd64 Ivy Bridge system (with STABLE-11 @ r338696),
from drm2 in base to drm-stable-kmod (and also drm-next-kmod) in ports,
after rebuilding the custom kernel without any drm/drm2 module.

I installed:

gpu-firmware-kmod-g20180825
drm-stable-kmod-g20180822

(and also tried:

drm-next-kmod-g20180822

with the same results)

i915kms.ko

led to an immediate reboot.

I built a GENERIC kernel (without any drm/drm2 module), and everything
was OK.

So I tried modifying the GENERIC kernel and came to that conclusion:

the drm-[stable|next]-kmod ports cannot be used with a kernel built with
MAXCPU (at least not defined as 256)!!

I commented the MAXCPU line in my custom kernel definition, and got back
a working system.

May be, the assumptions about kernels could be explicited for ports of
this kind ??

Hoping being useful,

CBu