Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 1995 21:39:28 -0800
From:      dale@northcoast.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   hardware compatibility

I would like to try running FreeBSD on my 486DX2/66.  I have some
SunOS and IRIX (SGI Unix) programming experience, and I'd like to
think I could eventually help with continuing FreeBSD development.
I've read the release notes and, unfortunately, it appears I chose the
wrong SCSI controllers as they're not in the list of supported
adapters.  I wonder about my other hardware.

I have a 486DX2/66 with 8MB RAM and:
Diamond Viper VLB (2MB VRAM) video card [BIOS v3.09]
ViewSonic 4 monitor
SoundBlaster16 (without ASP)
Diamond Flower MIO-550 multi-IO board
  (including 2 serial ports using Startech ST16C552 UART)
a couple small IDE hard disk drives
MicroSpeed PC-Trac serial trackball
Supra Fax Modem v.32bis
Future Domain TMC-1680 16-bit ISA Fast-SCSI2 controller
  [18C30/18C50/1800 BIOS v3.4]
  (Future Domain said theres a Linux driver for it.?.)
a couple SCSI hard disk drives (one with a few hundred megabytes free)
NEC/Trantor T128 8-bit ISA slow SCSI controller
  (for CD-ROM drive; I get too many read errors when I put the CD-ROM
drive
   on the Future Domain controller)
NEC CDR-210 CD-ROM drive
Colorado Memory Systems Jumbo 250 QIC80 tape drive
Colorado Memory Systems TC-15 1Mbps tape controller

How much of my system won't work under FreeBSD?

Thanks.  I admire what the FreeBSD team has accomplished!