Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:03:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        steve@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   open-motif default?

Hi,

I'm thinking about making open-motif the default now.  (Which means,
of course, it will go into 4.2 that way.)  It seems to work fine here
and I haven't seen any weird compilation problems on bento.

If this is ok, I'll change bsd.port.mk to make REQUIRED_MOTIF a normal
dependency and get rid of all the hacks (HAVE_MOTIF, MOTIF_STATIC and
MOTIF_ONLY and the Motif part of PKG_IGNORE_DEPENDS).  The Motif-dummy
port will be deleted.

Also, REQUIRED_MOTIF will change the name to USE_MOTIF (in bsd.port.mk
and ports that depend on Motif), to be compatible with other USE_*
variables.  MOTIFLIB will remain since it actually might care of a
nontrivial problem (adding -lXp to the list of libraries) but I will
stop documenting it in the handbook since new software (written for
Motif-1.2 and later) shouldn't need it.

What do people think?

-PW