Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:18:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        marko@uk.radan.com (Mark Ovens)
Cc:        marko@websorcery.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: about tar

Mark Ovens wrote,
> Marko's Work wrote:
> > If I have a large tar file (ex/ backup.tgz), how would i go about
> > extracting just one file from the archive (without extracting the path
> > or anything else)??
>
> tar will extract a file with any path it is stored with.
[snip]

Just to give you another option that avoids this problem, the -O
switch on tar redirects to stdout. Your command line would be,

% tar xOzf backup.tgz /full/path/in/tar/file > file

Where file is the one you want.

IMHO, if backup.tgz happens to be a backup of a whole filesystem or
a very big chunk of one, use 'dump' rather than tar to create a
backup. The interactive mode of 'restore' would be more convenient for
this.