Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 11:49:04 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QIC-3080: density & length

Pete Carah stands accused of saying:
> >> I have purchased a Conner TSM4000R SCSI tape backup unit. I have
> >> found this unit mentioned several times in questions in the mail
> >> archives, but unfortunately the replies must have been sent
> >> directly, and not forwarded to the list.
> >
> >Odd, I've read lots of people saying that they're lemons.  Sorry.
>
> Well, I was never able to get one to stream on a SS1000 that easily

Ok, that settles it for me. 8)

> If you need speed and don't worry about $$$ I'd recommend a DLT,
> though I've never tried one (directly; with /etc/rmt it won't
> stream from either fbsd or a SS20 but I'd expect that) on freebsd
> either :-)  As long as fbsd's tape driver can handle variable
> blocksize it should be fine.

That's really strange; we use rmt for all our backups (Sony SDT-5200)
and it streams almost all of the time.  The backup server's just a
486 with an NE2000 in it, and it's often running X.
You may be loaded more heavily though...

> -- Pete

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[