Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:51:32 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail blocked

At 11:53 PM 3/6/2002, Bill Swingle wrote:

>Maybe you should learn not to be so quick to judge.

I wasn't "judging;" I did an empirical test whose results suggested
that my address was being blocked. I wondered if we'd somehow been
added to a DNS blacklist or if something else had gone badly wrong.
And, yes, I did consider malicious activity as a possibility. Wouldn't
you?

>I'm sure you can
>understand that reasons for blocking mail that says it's coming from
>localhost.

The mail didn't "say it was coming from localhost." It merely had a
message ID that happened to contain the string "localhost." The headers
and envelope both contained my legitimate and verifiable return address.
Matching strings in a message ID (which is allowed to contain arbitrary
character strings!) may bounce quite a bit of perfectly legitimate mail.
This turned out to be what happened.

>No matter what the freebsd.org admins might think of you, we're not
>going to do malicious things just to piss you off.

I'm glad of that. However, there have been a few people who HAVE done
such things. (As you may recall, a core team member once configured
his mail server in such a way as to send a rude autoreply to every message
I posted to any FreeBSD mailing list.) I'm glad that this was not what
was happening in this case.

--Brett