Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:36:00 -0800
From:      "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <re@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   restoring definition of -stable

cc'd to release engineering team

I think part of the problem is that freebsd has lost someone who previously
used to make sure that patches MFC were actually stable. JKH used to play an
active role in that. I remember once, someone had MFC some code that
introduced a stability bug, Jordan told the list that whoever MFCd' the code
had till the end of the day to issue a fix, or roll back the patch. We all
agree that -current is never a good idea for production systems.

The definition of what is -stable has been relaxed in the past 2 years. If
you look at the handbook from 2 years ago, you will see this is what they
define it as. I request that the release engineering team please attempt to
restore this definition of -stable, which imho is a far more responsible
definition.

Since the only patches issued for a -release are security patches, not bug
fixes, users of stable systems need a means of applying patches, waiting for
the next -release is not the option.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cut
ting-edge/chapter.sgml?rev=1.35&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
Who needs FreeBSD-stable?
	If you are a commercial user or someone who puts maximum
stability of their FreeBSD system before all other concerns,
you should consider tracking stable. This is especially true
if you have installed the most recent release -RELEASE at the
time of this writing) since the stable branch is effectively
a bug-fix stream relative to the previous release.