Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 23:38:49 +0000
From:      "Jason Gilbert" <jason@homewood.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1 Installation / Boot Manager

I just finished installing 2.1 over the internet using PPP.  Very
interesting.  I had just gotten a new 1Gig Western Digital harddrive
and chose to partition the whole drive to Freebsd.  I also have
another drive which runs dos/win that is designated as the master
drive.  In the installation program I chose to install the Boot
manager but never saw anything else about it.  when I reboot the
system without a disk in the floppy drive, the system goes through
the normal BIOS etc. and then outputs two lines about c: and d:
harddrives installed (not verbatim).  After that, the light on the
floppy drive comes on and nothing else happens.

I can however boot using the boot.flp and then at the boot: prompt
typing    wd(1,a)/kernel.  This seems to boot the system and things
work.

My long question turns out to be;  Where is the boot manager?

Also, can I run the installation program on boot.flp again without
corrupting the files already on the drive?

I greatly appreciate any help.

Jason
Jason Gilbert
jason@scott.net/jason@homewood.net